Monday, June 26, 2006

Ben, Jerry, and the Art of Writing

Finished and sent off a short essay this morning, although I was supposed to be working on the big presentation. The editor had contacted me and instead of putting him off, I just sat down and wrote the piece. It was shorter and less formal than most of the things I write, and there was less pressure because it had been solicited, but still--to just sit down and write, and to write something that looked good when I'd finished, felt great.

Great enough that I deserved some Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk ice cream for lunch. This may be the missing piece to teaching effective writing: sufficient chocolate rewards.

2 comments:

comebacknikki said...

You could teach a class on the link between effective writing and chocolate...or make it a Pavlovian-type of experiment with grad students.

undine said...

I think that's an experiment that any sane ethical review board would pass.